I am always looking for responsive themes and I use a selection of free and premium ones depending on the project. Mobile responsive themes are very important to maintain a competitive edge and have maximum SEO. Optimizing for mobile is becoming just as important as optimizing for standard internet search engines.
I have compiled a selection of free responsive WordPress themes that are out there so you can get started with your responsive design!
I recommend downloading them right away as they don’t always stay free. And I have added a 27th…right on top because I think it is a great one.
Check out Touchfolio
Now to the 26 free responsive WordPress themes as promised…
If you use Genesis or Dreamweaver and you want a boilerplate, responsive theme that is 100% customizable, I recommend Bones
This one requires registration with Graph Paper Press, but it is a free theme
Yes, this site. I am proud as I have built so many WordPress sites that this one just flew out of my hands. What makes me proud is that I just “whipped it up” then ran it through HubSpots Marketing Grader and it got a whopping score of 72…right out of the box! Man I’m good! OK so I know the “marketing grader” is not the end all of all SEO but it is a great tool to just “check things”.
Run yours here…. it’s kind of fun and comment with your website and grade!
Here is a list of things I do immediately to maximize SEO on a WordPress site “out of the box” so to speak..
- Install the Yoast SEO Plugin – a must..and actually USE it because it works.
- Make sure you have an Apple Touch image – If you don’t know how to code it, just use the IOs Icon Plugin. Create a 72×72 icon PNG image and upload it with the plugin. Super easy.
- Make sure every possible image has “alt” tags. Yes, even your social icons
- Tweet your site and share on Facebook – yes, immediately!
- Set up Google Analytics immediately – most out of the box themes have a place to put the script.
- Get the Better Sitemaps Plugin so you can get your sitemap at yoururl/sitemap.xml. You just have to activate this one. Nothing more to do.
- Set up Google and Bing Webmaster tools and submit your sitemap you created with the plugin mentioned above – the Yoast SEO plugin has a place to place those verification codes…even easier.
I do a lot more things as I go, however this simple list will get you going and set your blog up where you really don’t have to do anything else, unless you are obsessed…like me.
It also helps to always use mobile responsive themes. If you are looking for a free one, try one of my listed
If you have questions, Contact me. I will be happy to help!